Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Poem I Found

I found this poem in the sidebar of another blogger over at Well That Makes Senses and really wanted to share it.

The Misunderstood Child

By

Kathy Winters


I am the child that looks healthy and fine.

I was born with ten fingers and toes.

But something is different,somewhere in my mind,

And what it is, nobody knows.


I am the child that struggles in school,

Though they say that I'm perfectly smart.

They tell me I'm lazy-can learn if I try-

But I don't seem to know where to start.


I am the child that won't wear the clothes

Which hurt me or bother my feet.

I dread sudden noises, can't handle most smells,

And tastes-there are few foods I'll eat.


I am the child that can't catch the ball

And runs with an awkward gait.

I am the one chosen last on the team

And I cringe as I stand there and wait.


I am the child with whom no one will play-

The one that gets bullied and teased.

I try to fit in and I want to be liked,

But nothing I do seems to please.


I am the child that tantrums and freaks

Over things that seem petty and trite.

You'll never know how I panic inside,

When I'm lost in my anger and fright.


I am the child that fidgets and squirms

Though I'm told to sit still and be good.

Do you think that I choose to be out of control?

Don't you know that I would if I could?


I am the child with the broken heart

Though I act like I don't really care.

Perhaps there's a reason God made me this way-

Some message he sent me to share.


For I am the child that needs to be loved

And accepted and valued too.

I am the child that is misunderstood.

I am different-but look just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts?