Saturday, February 11, 2012

When I Started

When I started this blog I didn’t intend for it to be about Blu, SPD, and special needs WP_000091all the time. I meant for it to be about me, about my weird clothes, our homeschooling/unschooling, my crafts maybe, some stuff about my larp group, and anything else that makes my life abnormal. (Of which there are many topics of discussion.) But truth be told, since our diagnosis I feel like isn’t much more to my life. At least there wasn’t for awhile. We started with OT 3 days a week, and have slowly whittled it down to just one. Last week was Blu’s first week ever of once a week OT. For four months I have spent hours every week driving to and from OT, then sitting at OT, and then hours settling Blu down, or even hyping him up, after OT.

Yesterday we went to dinner as a family, and I realized that I got dressed in my cute WP_000165clothes for the first time in months. Usually with Blu I tend to have no idea what to expect, he has nearly pants me at the grocery store, or I’ve had to do crazy things at the OT to get him to do it. I’ve fallen victim to a life of jeans and funny food themed t-shirts. I haven’t been able to dress like myself. It makes me feel weird. Then it creates a weird feeling of “what about new friends who’ve never seen in in my REAL clothes!?!? Will they think I’m just suddenly dressing this way? instead of seeing the jeans and t-shirts aren’t me?” Well, screw it if they do. I need to be me. I need to wear my cute clothes that I like. I need to do what I like to do. When Blu goes to sleep I need to read, write, craft, for me. Not for homeschool, not for special needs, but for me, sometimes.

WP_000318All in all Blu isn’t that bad. I’ve seen kids SO much worse, and honestly unless you really know what you’re looking for he seems mostly normal. Unless, well, maybe the chewing, I doubt you’ve ever seen a kid his size literally devouring his own coat. Or the shriek he gets when he’s really upset, over something seemingly silly. I really need to blog more about the hilarious things he does and says. The amazing way his brain works. The fascinating questions he comes up with. The way he was eating candy, reading a comic book, and crossing his legs, today in the car when we were out. The way he comes up with crazy recipes to cook for me, and the fact that sometimes they are actually REALLY good. The way he has recently decided to take the job of “earth saver” and took to wearing gardening gloves everywhere to pick up trash. he even bought a magnifying glass with his allowance, so he could “see the really tiny pieces that need to be picked up.” He’s become a boy of a million and WP_000039one disguises. He even put together an entire old man routine that involves a cane.

Blu is SO much more than a SPD kid, and I am SO much more than The Mom of an SPD kid. I really want to make this blog reflect that. I want to write to you about how we’ve recently gone to 100% unschooling, and it is FANTASTIC! I’ve started volunteering with a local start-up level food co-op. I’m starting a business with a friend of mine. I’d love to share photos of the family smash book that I pretend I keep. (I’ve fallen a bit behind.) As for the one track blogging, can you forgive me?? I promise to be better. For awhile it seemed like SPD and OT was my WP_000050life, and it was. (I really feel bad for the parents of children farther on the spectrum.) Now my life is back, or as back as this life gets, and I want to share it with you. My son is amazing, my husband is amazing, my life is amazing, and this blog, I want it to be just as amazing.

(Photos- Blu last summer reading at the book store. Posing with a tower we built together. Look who came to dinner! At a recent mid winter picnic before we ate we had to “just lay down and look at the sky.”- My fellas, always my super heroes.)

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts?